Jeffrey R. Tone
PH: (312) 663.4400
FX: (312) 663.0900
Jeffrey R. Tone has served as lead counsel in state and federal courts throughout the country and has represented clients at trial, on appeal, and in arbitrations. He has had responsibility for significant matters for four different major accounting firms, including jury trials in state and federal court, as well as for financial institutions, Fortune 500 companies and their officers and directors. Such representation has included securities class actions, derivative actions, insurance matters, and professional malpractice claims, including actions brought by the FIDC and other receivers and liquidating trusts. He has also represented clients in investigations by the SEC’s Division of Enforcement and other governmental agencies.
Jeff’s practice has included a variety of other commercial litigation matters in federal and state court, including representing issuers in securities class actions. He has also represented clients in numerous purchase price arbitrations and other forms of alternative dispute resolution. Jeff also has extensive experience in representing clients in pension litigation matters, including claims under ERISA and the ADEA.
Jeff’s appellate work has involved not only securities litigation but also antitrust, products liability, common law issues, ERISA, constitutional claims, breach of contract, and other areas of law. He has participated in appeals on behalf of various clients in the United States Supreme Court, the Second, Third, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits, the Illinois Appellate Court, and the Illinois Supreme Court.
Jeff is a fellow of the American Bar Foundation, and a member of the Leading Lawyers Network. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the Constitutional Rights Foundation – Chicago.
University of Illinois College of Law, JD (summa cum laude; Order of the Coif) in 1978
Princeton University, BA (cum laude) in 1975
U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Circuits
U.S. District Court, N.D. of Illinois (General, 1978; Trial Bar, 1990)
U.S. District Court, C.D. of Illinois
U.S. District Court, E.D. of Wisconsin
United States Supreme Court, Justice John Paul Stevens, 1980-81 Term
U.S. District Court, N.D. Illinois, Judge Prentice H. Marshall, 1978-80
- Engers v. AT&T, No. 10-2752 (3d Cir. 2011)
- Hurlic v. Southern California Gas Co., 539 F.3d 1024 (9th Cir. 2008)
- PR Diamonds, Inc. v. Chandler, 364 F.3d 671 (6th Cir. 2004)
- Mittman v. Rally’s Hamburgers, Inc., 278 F. Supp. 2d 831 (2003)
- Kansas Public Employees Retirement Sys. v. Reimer & Koger Associates, Inc., 114 F.3d 679 (8th Cir. 1997), cert. denied, 522 U.S. 1068 (1998)
- Kansas Public Employees Retirement Sys. v. Reimer & Koger Associates, Inc., 77 F.3d 1063 (8th Cir. 1996), cert. denied, 519 U.S. 948 (1996)
- Frymire-Brinati v. KPMG Peat Marwick, 2 F.3d 183 (7th Cir. 1993)
- Farlow v. Peat, Marwick, Mitchell & Co., 956 F.2d 982 (10th Cir. 1992)
- Harbor Insurance Co. v. Arthur Andersen & Co., 149 Ill. App. 3d 235 (5th Dist. 1986)
209 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 950, Chicago, IL 60604 :: firstname.lastname@example.org :: Disclaimer